Who is at risk for gynecologic cancer?
The following are risk factors for different kinds of gynecologic cancers. Each cancer has its own general risk factors, and may affect women in various ways. Every woman is different, so talk to your doctor or gynecology oncology specialist about any questions or concerns you may have.
Risk factors include:
- Post-menopausal (over age 50)
- Endometrial hyperplasia – a condition where the cells of the endometrium are abnormal
- Cervical dysplasia – a condition where the cervical cells are abnormal
- High blood sugar
- Other cancers (colon, rectal, breast)
- Early age of first menstruation
- Women who have never been pregnant
- Hormone-related issues
- Family history of breast or ovarian cancer